Back to BasicsCommunity Practitioner Prescriber Update
Prescribing Update for Community Practitioner Formulary Nurse Prescribers (V100/150)
Up to 35 delegates
This is currently online training using MS Teams. All participants will receive training materials and certificates of attendance, sent by email.
The Course Aim
Assist participants to ensure they are using their prescribing skills to
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
• Describe the Legal and professional requirements of Community Practitioner Formulary Nurse Prescribers (CPFNP)
• Outline the importance of accountability
• Define what can and what can’t be prescribed by a CPFNP
• Describe how to report an adverse drug reaction
• Identify the importance of Continued Professional Development in relation to prescribing
• Prescribing quiz leading to varied discussion including the legal framework which enables prescribing, and what CPFNPs are legally able to prescribe.
• Review of recent NMC fitness to practice hearings involving
• Security of prescription pads.
• The legal requirements when writing a prescription.
• Discussion on competency, with practical opportunity to use the RPS 2016 Competency Framework for all Prescribers.
During the session, participants will practice writing a mock prescription with optional critique from the trainer; especially useful for those who are not currently using their prescribing qualification or who lack confidence in their prescribing.
Our trainer Fiona Peniston-Bird BSc (Hons) RHV RGN NIP PGCHE FHEA, has been involved in Non-Medical Prescribing since 1999 when she became a Community Practitioner Formulary Nurse Prescriber whilst working as a Health Visitor. She trained as a Nurse Independent Prescriber in 2002 and subsequently took a post as Non-Medical Prescribing Facilitator within South East Coast Strategic Health Authority in 2003. Fiona founded